Hong Kong Travel Visa Requirements

Travel visa requirements for visitors to Hong Kong.

United States citizens do not require a visa to visit Hong Kong for stays of 90 days or less. Visitors are not permitted to work or study in Hong Kong, even if such activity is unpaid, without a work or study visa. Entry via the visa exemption requires the following:

  • A valid passport with at least six months validity.
  • Proof of an onward or return airline ticket.
  • Proof of adequate fund to cover their stay (this is rarely requested).

Hong Kong is a Special Administration Region of the People’s Republic of China. U.S. citizens wishing to remain in Hong Kong for longer than 90 days or to visit Mainland China will require a visa issued by a Chinese Consulate. Details on the Chinese visa requirements are provided below.

United States citizens require a Tourist (L) Visa to visit Mainland China. The only exception to this rule is for transiting passengers who intend to stay in China for less than 72 hours. For information on the Chinese Transit (G) Visa, contact the Chinese Embassy. The Chinese Tourist Visa requires the following:

  • A valid passport with at least six months validity and two blank pages.
  • A complete and truthful Chinese Visa application form. All necessary fields must be completed.
  • A recent passport size photo against a white background attached to the Visa application.
  • Documents showing a travel itinerary (i.e.: airfare receipt showing entry to/from China) and proof of a confirmed hotel reservation.

For United States citizens, three Visa types are offered:

  1. Single entry,  $140
  2. Double entry,  $140
  3. Multiple entries, valid for 10 years,  $140

Visa applications must be submitted in person at a Chinese Embassy. Unless you live in a city with a Chinese Embassy, it may be more convenient to use a third party Visa agency who can handle the application process for you.

Travel Safety & Advisories

For the most up to date and detailed information on the safety of travel to Hong Kong, read the country report authored and released by the United States Department of State at www.travel.state.gov. Please also search for the most up-to-date travel warnings and advisories. For information from the State Department on travel to Mainland China, click here.

Resources In An Emergency

If you encounter a medical emergency or are a victim of a crime in Hong Kong, contact the local authorities immediately. Although 9-1-1 is the emergency number in the United States, that is not true in the majority of other countries. Be sure to consult this list of emergency telephone numbers in foreign countries.

The U.S. Embassy in Hong Kong can also be a resource to American Citizens. It is located at:

U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong & Macau
26 Garden Road, Central
Hong Kong

Contact information is listed below:

Phone:  +852 2841-2211
Phone (24-hours/Emergency): +852 2523-9011
E-mail:  acshk@state.gov
Website:  https://hk.usconsulate.gov/