The American Association of Retired Persons, or AARP, bills itself as “the nation’s largest nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to empowering Americans 50 and older to choose how they live as they age.” It’s a great organization, which counts nearly 40 million Americans as its members.
But, get this — I’m only 30 years old, and have been a member since 2016.
AARP offers an Associate Membership for people under 50 years of age, allowing younger persons to support the organization’s work, and take advantage of some member benefits.
Associate Members, AARP says, “enjoy all of the benefits of membership that are not restricted by law or contract.”
The cost to join, whether as an Associate Member or Full Member, is just $16 per year. Membership opens up a number of perks, including discounts on hotels, airfare, rental cars and more. Here’s a list of some of the best offers available to AARP members:
- Best Western Hotels — Save 5% to 15% off the best available rate at Best Western. Best Western Premier, Best Western Plus and others.
- British Airways — Save between $65 and $200 on round-trip tickets purchased online from British Airways to over 130 cities in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
- Budget Rent A Car — Save up to 30% off base rates, plus get an upgrade on compact through full-size car class bookings (based on availability), an additional driver at no cost, and more.
- Hilton Hotels — Save up to 10% off the best available rate and get late checkout until 2 p.m., when available, at Hilton Hotel & Resorts brands, including Conrad, Curio, DoubleTree, Embassy, Suites, Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton Grand Vacations, Hilton, Home2 Suites, Homewood Suites, Tru and Waldorf Astoria.
- Radisson Hotels & Resorts — Save 10% off the best available rate at Radisson Blu, Radisson Red, Radisson, Country Inn & Suites, and Park Inn by Radisson among others.
- Restaurant Discounts — Members are eligible to save 10% to 15% off food and nonalcoholic beverages at restaurants including Bonefish Grill, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Denny’s, Joe’s Crab Shack, McCormick & Schmick’s, Outback Steakhouse and others.
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts — Save 10% off the best available rate at Wyndham Grand, Wyndham, TRYP, LaQuinta Inns & Suites, Wingate, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel Inn & Suites, Days Inn and others.
By redeeming just one or two offers over the course of the year, members can cover the cost of their membership.
And although many hotels offer similar discounts to AAA members, it’s good to have both membership cards in your wallet. Just today, I booked a room at a Home2 Suites by Hilton Hotel, which was $99 to the general public, $91 for AAA members and $89 for AARP members. Thanks to AARP, I saved $10 total, and $2 more than with my AAA card — on just a one-night stay!
To sign-up for an AARP membership of your own, visit the AARP website at www.aarp.org. Enjoy the benefits (and savings) of membership!